Trampe/CycloCable® is built upon a unique patented system. It is technically quite similar to a ski lift. Most of its design structures are however placed underground, just below the street surface. The layout is concealed so that people and vehicles may cross the rail and rail housing safely and unhindered. The Bicycle Lift is designed for streets in urban areas and should not dominate the environment with twisting cables, masts and dangerous moving elements. This could be hazardous to both people and property.
The Cyclocable® is certified by the STRMTG (French Aerial Ropeway and Guided Transport Technical Services) in accordance with the European directive 2000/9/CE. The CE marking concerns particularly the principle of the Cyclocable® footrest.
The Main Machine Structures
- Drive train: Consist of electric motor, a wire loop with carriages fixed to wire, a drive sheave and a return sheave.
- Start station and exit station: An electric motor and drive sheave are installed in either the start station or the exit station.
- Rail housing: The underground rail housing is built by sections each of 2.4 m. The upstream rail housing has a slot allowing the foot plate to raise and push on the cyclist foot.
- Soft start launcher: A launcher at the Start station softly accelerates the cyclist from zero to normal speed of 1.5 m/sec.
- Footplate: By pushing the start button the footplate raises in the slot and starts pushing the right foot of the cyclist. The footplate is kept upright due to the load of the foot. As soon as the cyclists leave the lift, and the load on the footplate is taken away, the footplate vanishes into the rail housing. The distance between the footplate carriages is approximately 20 m.
- Carriages: There are footplate carriages and intermediate carriages. The latter help keeping the wire on track, and some of them have brushes to clean the inside rails.
- Operation Panel: An enlightened operation panel at the start position with user instructions, start button and programmable information screen.
- Emergency button: There are emergency buttons by both stations. Once one of these becomes actuated the lift resetts itself after a 5 minutes rest period.
- Electronic command system: Trampe/CycloCable® has a programmable PLC with a mobile modem allowing to give system updates, faults and alarms by SMS to the operation management.
The distance between the footplates is 20 meters, thus the lift can continually carry one cyclist each 20 meter. The speed of the lift is 2 m/s (4-5 mph), giving a maximum capacity of 6 cyclists per minute or 360 cyclists per hour. With a distance of 130 meters, 6 cyclists can take it simultaneously. Maximum length of the Trampe/CycloCable® is approximately 500 m. Maximum gradient is approximately 20 degrees.